Buford High School softball players’ successes on the field propelled the Wolves to a 7-0 shutout against Apalachee High School on Wednesday, Aug. 16. This marks the team’s fourth shutout in just five games in the 2023 season.
Senior Mackenzie Pickens set a new school record by blasting her 33rd career home run, her fifth home run in the 2023 season. The school record was previously held by Samantha Thomas, a Class of 2017 graduate. Mackenzie Pickens also led her team with three RBIs during Wednesday’s game.
Sophomore Caroline Stanton threw her first career no-hitter against Apalachee. On the mound for the Wolves, Stanton pitched 11 strikeouts and allowed one walk in seven innings of ball.
Standout playmakers for the Wolves
- Sophomore Kadyn Gabrels went 2-for-3 with an RBI, one run scored and a steal
- Senior Madison Pickens went 1-for-4 with two RBIs, one run scored and one steal
- Sophomore Summer Castorri went 1-for-2 with a walk, an RBI and one run scored
Buford will play South Forsyth at 11 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 19, at the Buford Softball Complex.
FEATURED PHOTO: Buford High School senior Mackenzie Pickens set a new school record during a game against Apalachee on Aug. 16, 2023, at the Buford Softball Complex. Pickens hit her 33rd career home run breaking a record held by Samantha Thomas, Class of 2017. Photo by Jody Jenkins.
- Buford softball team secures fourth consecutive win in new season
- Wolves open 2023 softball season with three wins in tournament play
- Buford softball team shuts down opponent in season opener