GHSA’s Region 8 6-A One Act Play Competition was held Saturday, Oct. 30, at Lanier High School in Sugar Hill. Six high school theatre programs from around the area, including Buford, Dacula, Habersham Central, Lanier, Shiloh and Winder-Barrow, presented 55-minute cut versions of the dramatic presentation (straight play or musical) of their choice.
Buford High School emerged as the region winner and will advance to the AAAAAA State One Act Competition on Saturday, Nov. 13, at Denmark High School in Alpharetta. Buford High School is the defending State One Act champion team with last year’s performance of the musical “Bright Star.”
Other awards presented at today’s competition were:
- Fourth place — Shiloh (“Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat”)
- Third place — Habersham Central (“Ernest and the Pale Moon”)
- Second place — Lanier (“25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee”)
- First place — Buford (“Little Women”)
- Best Actress — Mara Eva Cline (Buford), playing Jo in”Little Women”
- Best Actor — Caleb Rogers (Habersham Central), playing Ernest in “Ernest and the Pale Moon”
- Best Supporting Actress — Skye Mack (Winder-Barrow), playing Grace in “Radium Girls”
- Best Supporting Actor — Joshua Napier (Lanier), playing Leaf Coney Bear in “25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee”
Six North Gwinnett-area students were named to the Region All Star Cast: Buford’s Dylan Appling and Grace Johnson, Lanier’s James Scott and Alyssa Copeland, and Dacula’s Aniya Amey and Matthew Bussell. Others named to the All Star Cast were Amanda Newsome and Autumn Smith from Habersham Central, Kasey Jenkins and Sarah Pillow from Winder-Barrow, and Elisha McNeill and Angela McDuffie from Shiloh.