Lanier High School will host the 2021 GHSA Region 8 6-A One Act Play Competition today. Six high school theatre programs from around this area will present 55-minute cut versions of the dramatic presentation (straight play or musical) of their choice. They are:
• Lanier (8:15 a.m.) – “25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee”
• Buford (9:35 a.m.) – “Little Women: The Musical”
• Dacula (10;55 a.m.) – “Tracks”
• Habersham Central (1 p.m.) – “Ernest and the Pale Moon”
• Winder-Barrow (2:20 p.m.) – “Radium Girls”
• Shiloh (3:40 p.m.) – “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat”
Following the six competitive performances, there will be an exhibition show at 5 p.m. from Central Gwinnett High School’s new fine arts magnet entitled “The Night Witches.”
Adjudicated by three judges, awards will be presented about 6 p.m. at Lanier High School’s theatre this evening to the first, second, third and fourth place schools. Special awards like Best Actress, Best Actor and All Star Cast will be given to stand-out performers from the day.
The first place school will advance to the AAAAAA State One Act Competition on Saturday, Nov. 13, at Denmark High School. Buford High School is the defending State One Act champion team with its performance last year of “Bright Star.”
Follow the North Gwinnett Voice for the results from today’s competition.