On Monday, Aug. 14, a Hazardous Materials Team was dispatched to Costco Wholesale Warehouse in Buford to assist in bringing a gas leak under control.

At 6:40 p.m., firefighters with Gwinnett County Fire and Emergency Services responded to a report of a fire at the business, located at 1550 Mall of Georgia Boulevard NE. An employee had called 911 to report smoke coming from the back of the building and that the business was evacuating.

Fire crews arrived at 6:44 p.m. and assisted with the evacuation, searching the building for any remaining employees or customers. Inside, firefighters found a haze caused by a gas leak in a coolant system. Collaborating with building maintenance, firefighters identified and shut off all control valves connected to the leak.

Firefighters then requested the assistance of the haz mat team. Using atmospheric monitoring devices to survey air quality conditions while ventilating the structure with fans, the team was able to bring the gas leak under control at 7:13 p.m.

According to Gwinnett Fire and Emergency Services, medical crews treated and released one patient for a non-life-threatening injury.

The building was deemed safe at 8:30 p.m., and building managers were allowed inside to complete necessary repairs.

FEATURED PHOTO: Crews with Gwinnett County Fire and Emergency Services respond Aug. 14, 2023, to Costco Wholesale Warehouse in Buford to address a gas leak. Photo provided by Gwinnett County Fire and Emergency Services. 

Please follow and like us:
Pin Share

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Verified by ExactMetrics