The American Red Cross is assisting two adults and five children displaced following a fire at their Buford residence.

Crews with Gwinnett County Fire and Emergency Services responded at 8:09 p.m. Sunday, April 9, to a report of a residential fire in the 100 block of North Church Street NE. The caller advised there was smoke in the home and flames in the attic.

Crews arriving on scene found light smoke showing from the attic of the single-story home on a basement. The homeowners advised firefighters they had extinguished a fire in a closet. One hose line was deployed as crews checked the closet and extinguished remaining flames with a water can, bringing the fire under control at 8:22 p.m.

The residents had been able to safely evacuate the structure after being alerted by smoke in the home before working smoke alarms were activated. No injuries were reported.

The fire caused damage to the closet with minor extension into the attic. Firefighters on scene determined the fire to be electrical in nature, and the city of Buford’s electric department was called to the scene to secure power to the residence.

Please follow and like us:
Pin Share

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Verified by ExactMetrics