The city of Sugar Hill is now accepting applications for its 2022-2023 Youth Council.
According to the city, members of the Youth Council discuss, examine and understand local government decision-making, as well as state-wide policy and current events, strategies for community building and opportunities to engage the public through events and volunteerism.
The deadline to submit an application is 5 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 17, and priority will be given to residents who live within the Sugar Hill city limits.
“Youth civic engagement is the future of our city, state, and nation,” an online post announcing the acceptance of application states. “In this spirit, the Sugar Hill Youth Council is dedicated to learning the how’s and why’s of local government as well as participation in the process of democratic governance.”
Applicants for the 2022-2023 Sugar Hill Youth Council are expected to:
- Be available for meetings from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Wednesdays at Sugar Hill City Hall
- Be a high school sophomore or junior (seniors will be considered)
- Be ready and willing to commit 15 to 20 hours per month to meetings and meeting preparation, special events, volunteer activities and other responsibilities, including being available to attend city council work sessions and meetings the first and second Monday of every month
- Be willing to engage with the Mayor Brandon Hembree and city council members
- Be willing to commit to joining at least one additional city-affiliated community group
- Be ready to learn and shape municipal policy
- Attend conferences such as Cities United
- Be prepared to travel out of state for events
- Be present at various Sugar Hill events throughout the year
For questions, Youth Council applicants are encouraged to email the current leadership at the following email addresses:
- Sugar Hill Youth Council Mayor Romit Chunduri — firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sugar Hill Youth Council Mayor Pro Tem Reilly Christy — email@example.com
- Youth Council Advisor Victoria Richburg — firstname.lastname@example.org
- Youth Council Advisor Preethi Thomas — email@example.com
Applicants must be available to attend an interview session from 5:30 to 8 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 24, at Sugar Hill City Hall.
Click here to complete an online application. After submitting the application, print a teacher recommendation form that can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org once completed.