The Buford Band of Wolves wrapped up its marching season on Friday, Dec. 10, at the state championship football game, quickly turning the page for the next performance.
Following their exciting night playing in the stands, on Saturday, Dec. 11, 22 members of the Buford Band of Wolves were selected to the Georgia Music Educators Association District 13 Honor Band. These students auditioned individually, competing against students from public and private schools across Gwinnett County. With 22 members selected, Buford led the district in the number of students accepted from one school.
In addition, one student was named to the District Honor Flute Choir, and 19 students were selected to take part in the statewide All State Band audition in January. These students will undergo a rigorous audition along with students from every district in Georgia for a chance to be selected to participate in this prestigious event.
“Being named to the All State Band is one of the highest honors a high school band student can achieve,” said Dr. Chris Fowler, fine arts coordinator for Buford City Schools. “To even be selected to audition is a wonderful achievement. I congratulate Mr. Mason, Mrs. Wildes and these students for their outstanding work.”
Both numbers are record highs for Buford High School, and this is the first time in its history that the Band of Wolves has led the district in the number of members selected for the district band.
BHS Band Director Erik Mason said, “What makes this accomplishment even more impressive is that only 25 students from Buford auditioned, meaning that 88% of our students who auditioned were selected for the district band!”
Additionally, four of the 22 students were selected as first chair on their respective instruments, and two students received a score of 99.5 out of a possible 100.
The 2022 District Honor Band members from BHS are:
Symphonic Band members
(11th and 12th grade)
• Savanna Wachter, flute, second chair
• David Lee, clarinet, seventh chair
• Paul Kwak, trumpet, fourth chair
• Ray Choi, trombone, seventh chair
• Jimmy Ragazino, euphonium, first chair
• Jayce Johnson, euphonium, fourth chair
Concert Band members
(ninth and 10th Grade)
• Emma Walters, oboe, third chair
• Rowan Martin, clarinet, first chair
• Peter Kwak, clarinet, eighth chair
• David Varon, alto saxophone, fifth chair
• Adonis Diaz-Romero, bari saxophone, first chair
• Joseph Her, trumpet, second chair
• Savannah Dinh, trumpet, fourth chair
• Caleb Terry, trumpet, 11th chair
• Joshua Lee, French horn, second chair
• Harris Teague, French horn, eighth chair
• Brandon Duracher, French horn, ninth chair
• Gabriel Silva, trombone, first chair
• Clay Mason, trombone, second chair
• Matthew Her, percussion, sixth chair
• Jaden Vo, percussion, seventh chair
• Adelina Diaz-Romero, percussion, eighth chair
Honor Flute Choir
• Amanda Dinh
“It has been such a remarkable semester for the Band of Wolves, and these students’ accomplishments are the icing on the cake,” Mason said. “We couldn’t be prouder of them.”
Associate director Bridget Wildes said, “We are so proud of these students and their dedication to excellence! Pride is one of our core values, and I love seeing our students commit to that feeling and show what it really means to be a Buford Wolf.”
FEATURED PHOTO: Members from the 2021 All State Band perform as featured guests with the Buford Middle School Symphonic Band at their UGA MidFest performance on Dec. 9, 2021. Special photo