BUFORD — Buford High School has a long tradition of its athletes landing scholarships to colleges across the nation. This year is no different. Thirteen senior athletes from BHS signed their letters of intent on Wednesday, Nov. 11, 2020.
Athletes sign a National Letter of Intent to play for the college that recruited them on National Signing Days. There are four different signing periods each year for different sports. The first signing day, Nov. 11 was for basketball (early signing) and all other sports except football. High Schools traditionally celebrate their signees with a signing day ceremony as does Buford.
With COVID-19 still in the picture, this year’s signing ceremony was in danger of becoming the virus’s next victim. Administration within Buford City Schools wanted to celebrate their athletes and the incredible accomplishments they have made so they got creative and adapted their signing day ceremony to follow coronavirus precautions
Athletes were celebrated one at a time on stage instead of the athletes all being on stage at once as in the past. Masks were required by everyone that was not currently on stage and group photos were not allowed. This didn’t dampen the excitement. Family and friends spaced out inside of the large theatre at Buford’s Performing Arts Center cheered for their favorite athletes as it became their turn to be on stage.
Senior athletes celebrated at the Nov. 11 Signing Day ceremony for Buford are:
- Jackson Brockett – Baseball – University of Nebraska
- Jackson Buchanan – Golf – University of Illinois
- Jewel Clark – Gymnastics – Temple University
- Jordan Garrison – Girls Lacrosse – Gardner-Webb University
- Courtney Martin – Girls Lacrosse – Rollins College
- Kaylee Moreland – Girls Lacrosse – Piedmont College
- Abbi Perkins – Softball – Jacksonville State University
- Trinity Price – Girls Track – Stanford University
- Treyton Rank – Baseball – Florida State University
- Riley Reese – Softball – Chipola College
- Connor Sampers – Baseball – Wofford College
- Nathan Smith – Baseball – University of Tennessee
- Ashyia Willis – Girls Basketball – Georgia College & State University
Congratulations to these talented athletes!
BHS Nov. 11, 2020 Signing Day Ceremony