At its first meeting of 2023 on Monday, Jan. 2, the Buford City Commission reelected 82-year-old Phillip Beard as commission chairman for the 44th consecutive year since his initial election as chairman in 1979. Beard was originally elected to the city commission in 1975, for a total of 48 years on the Commission. This term expires Dec. 31, 2023. Vice-Chairman L. Chris Burge was also reelected to another term set to expire Dec. 31, 2025.
Also appointed were the 2023 Buford City Department heads, including new appointments of Zachary Hutchins in customer service and Brian Hill as meter reading supervisor.
The Buford City Commission also:
• Reappointed Harley Bennett to the Planning and Zoning Board
• Reappointed Jeff Pirkle to the Downtown Development Authority
• Approved annexation request #Z-22-32 by Bogan Enterprises LLC to rezone 10.544 acres at 1781 Plunketts Road from R-100 to M-1
• Tabled annexation request #Z-22-33 by BBC Investment Group LLC to rezone 30.25 acres at 6191 New Bethany Road from AR-III to R-100
• Approved an annexation and rezoning request by Larry and Teresa Cross of 2.15 acres at 3783 Carter Road from AR-III to RA-200
• Approved annexation request #Z-22-34 by Clayton Ortiz, represented by Jon Gatlin, for 1.21 acres at 5659 Holiday Road from AR-III to O-I
• Approved zoning modification request #ZM-23-01 by CHA Consulting Inc. to allow menu boards in the front yard of 4996 Lanier Islands Parkway as long as the signs are brick
• Denied a zoning modification request by 713 Holdings to eliminate the curb, gutter and sidewalks for the development on New Bethany Road but approved the addition of more accents to the front and side elevations
• Adopted an ordinance of the City Commission of the City of Buford to provide for qualification fees for the Nov. 7 general municipal election and other purposes
• Accepted a .02 acre (875 square feet) permanent construction easement from Jeff Pruitt for the South Waterworks Road water line project
• Adopted amendments to the banquet space rental agreement and rental fees for the Buford Community Center Town Park and Theatre as requested by the director
• Approved the recommendation of the city engineer for the renewal of water and sewer annual contracts for an additional year with JDS Inc.
• Approved the purchase of 700 Bona Road in the amount of $300,000, and an additional parcel of property on Bona Road for $60,000, both for the stadium project
• Authorized a payment of $506,823.82 to Ruby Collins Inc. for the water plant expansion project
• Authorized payment of $1,357.03 for the Buford High School restroom addition project and a payment of $166,488.43 for the new Buford High School stadium to Breaux & Associates Architects
• Authorized payment to Ohmshiv Construction LLC for the Shadburn Ferry Road improvement project in the amount of $132,743.03
• Approved payment to H. Lloyd Hill Architects and Associates for design services for the Buford Middle School addition in the amount of $3,370.43 and $61,057.65, and for the Buford Senior Academy addition in the amount of $360,492.43
• Authorized payment to Charles Black Construction Company Inc in the amount of $173,830 for the Buford High School visitor fieldhouse project and authorized payment in the amount of $11,926.01 for the New Street relocation project, with the latter to be paid from SPLOST funds and general funds
• Authorized additional payments to Charles Black Construction Company Inc. for the Buford High School baseball restrooms project in the amount of $181,444, for the Buford Middle School addition project in the amount of $294,063, for the Buford High School stadium project in the amount of $158,289.29 and for the sidewalk repairs at Buford Middle School in the amount of $1,780.84
FEATURED PHOTO: Buford City Department heads stand during the city commission’s meeting Monday, Jan. 2, 2023, at the Buford Arena. Photo by Michelle Stewart.