Gwinnett County police have arrested the driver of a passenger van that crashed and caught fire Saturday, April 24, on Interstate 85 northbound at its split with I-985.
Monica Manire has been charged with six counts of homicide by vehicle in the first degree, reckless driving, improper lane change and four counts of serious injury by vehicle.
Investigators think Manire made a reckless lane change from I-85 to I-985 that caused the van she was driving to flip over on its side and catch fire.
Manire was at the Gwinnett County Jail on Thursday morning, April 29.
The victims in the crash have been identified as:
- Alishia Carroll, a 34 year old female from Columbus
- Kristie Whitfield, a 44 year old female from Mount Airy
- Ashleigh Paris, a 26 year old female from Kennesaw
- Tina Rice, a 53 year old female from Atlanta
- Normisha Monroe, a 38 year old female from Norcross
- Rose Patrick, a 34 year old female from Ellabell
Several other individuals were taken to local hospitals for treatment of injuries. One bystander sustained a minor injury and refused transport.